During the period of pregnancy, as a woman you experience anatomical, physiological and psychological changes. Naturally, this entails many new challenges.
The role that a pregnancy massage can play in addressing many of these challenges and problems is now quite well known in our society. Although it is not the intention to go into detail about classic pregnancy massage, I would like to summarize its benefits:
- Reduces feelings of depression, anxiety and stress
- Improves blood circulation and stimulates the lymphatic system
- Strengthens the immune system
- Relieves back and leg pain
- Reduces pain during childbirth and post-operative pain
- Helps with insomnia
So what exactly is a tantra pregnancy massage?
You can see a tantra pregnancy massage as a completion of an ordinary pregnancy massage. Because which body part is being ignored there? The yoni itself, amazingly enough. Just like with the classic tantra massage, it can of course be a barrier to literally expose yourself as a woman and have your intimate parts touched during a yoni massage.
Why is yoni massage useful during your pregnancy?
There are many reasons why yoni massage is recommended. I list a few that apply specifically to pregnancy:
- It activates the vagus nerve and your parasympathetic nervous system causing the muscles of your pelvic floor to relax more, making birth itself a less painful experience.
- It boosts your immune system and improves the circulation and drainage of lymph from the lymph nodes in the groin.
- By (learning to) feel every zone/point of your yoni during the massage, you strengthen the heart-yoni connection and you become more aware of the powerful energy that lies within you.
- Your base chakra (at the entrance of the yoni) is balanced, making you feel safe, stable, grounded and supported. This will make you more empowered and you will also be able to open yourself more to your sexual energy and the cascade of positive effects it can bring about.
- The sexual energy that is released ensures the production of many happiness substances through your brain. These are spread all over your body and your baby also experiences all the beneficial effects.
- It helps release trapped trauma in this region, preparing your body to open up during birth.
- It is an ideal preparatory step to be able to experience an “ecstatic birth”.
Not only the yoni itself is massaged, by the way. It is also important to massage the perineum in preparation for childbirth!
The benefits of perineum massage
The perineum is the area between the entrance of the yoni and the anus. To avoid a possible tear or cut during childbirth, it makes sense to make the tissues in this region as flexible as possible beforehand. At the time of delivery itself, you will also recognize the feeling that accompanies the stretching when the baby's head emerges.
Continue to massage the perineum itself daily from about week 34 of the pregnancy. You can look up more information about this or ask for instructions at the end of the massage.
Is massage safe during pregnancy?
As mentioned earlier, there are many benefits of receiving massages during pregnancy and it can certainly be done safely. Only deep massage for the legs and applying pressure to certain points in the pelvic region, wrists, hands and ankles is not recommended.
Furthermore, during the yoni massage, the cervix is not massaged and the G-spot is not extensively worked on. The focus is mainly on the external yoni massage and stimulating the heart-yoni connection.
During the massage, a suitable base oil (e.g. almond oil) is used without added essential oils.