In recent years, there has been an increasing interest in alternative and holistic health practices. One of these emerging trends is the use of yoni steaming, also known as vaginal steaming. Although it has been around for centuries in various cultures, it is only recently that this intriguing practice has regained popularity in Western societies.
Origin of yoni steaming
Yoni steaming has its origins in ancient traditions in various parts of the world, including Asia, Africa and Central America. In traditional medicine, this practice was often performed by midwives and healers to support women's health during different stages of their lives, such as menstruation, pregnancy, and postpartum.
In Eastern medicine, such as Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), this practice is considered a way to regulate the 'qi' (life energy) and blood in the womb and pelvic area. This would help promote a healthy menstrual cycle and relieve complaints related to menstruation itself.
The benefits of yoni steaming
Yoni steaming is often considered a holistic approach to support the female reproductive system. Although there is limited scientific research into the effects of it, many women claim to experience positive results with certain conditions or complaints.
Yoni steaming, just like yoni massage, has a beneficial effect on:
- Menstrual complaints: Women who suffer from menstrual pain, PMS symptoms, cramps and irregular cycles could benefit from yoni steaming as a form of natural relief.
- Postpartum recovery: Some women use yoni steaming to promote recovery (e.g. of the perineum) after childbirth and to support the endometrium in removing remnants of the placenta.
- Fertility: Although there is limited scientific evidence, some women believe that it can help increase fertility by promoting a healthy uterine environment.
- Emotional well-being: For some women, yoni steaming can be a way to connect with their bodies and emotions.
- Blood Circulation: The heat and steam may help promote blood flow to the pelvic area, which may support uterine health.
- Relaxation and stress reduction: The process of yoni steaming can be experienced as relaxing, reducing stress and tension.
However, it is important to note that yoni steaming should not be a substitute for medical treatment for serious conditions. If you have any health issues or you are pregnant, it is always advisable to consult a healthcare professional before embarking on this practice.
Method of yoni steaming
The process of yoni steaming usually involves sitting over a steam bowl containing a blend of medicinal herbs. The steam rises and comes into contact with the skin and mucous membranes of the vulva and vagina. Following are the common steps that are commonly followed:
- Seasoning Blend: A blend of dried herbs is used to create the steam. Popular herbs include rosemary, lavender, calendula, chamomile, basil, and many others. Each combination can have different properties to serve different purposes.
- Warm water: The herbal mixture is placed in a bowl of hot water, carefully controlling the temperature to avoid burning or discomfort.
- Sitting and steaming: The woman uncovers her lower body and sits comfortably over the steam bowl. She often wraps herself in a blanket or towel to keep the steam in.
- Relaxation: It is essential to relax for 20-30 minutes and let the steam do its job.
Yoni steaming is an ancient practice that is reviving in this modern age. Although the benefits are not scientifically proven, it feels blissful for countless women. So, if you are curious and want to get in touch with your inner goddess, educate yourself, listen to your own body and go for it! Stay steamy!